Wednesday 22 February 2012

"Haste Makes Waste"

I reworked the jersey dress I complained about in the previous post.




The reason for that bubble at the back was that I soaked the cloth before sewing and hang it to dry. The sides of the fabric stretched and I cut it as it was. What a fool I was! This kind of things happens when I want to finish a garment quickly, usually in one day. I sew mostly on weekends and sometimes delaying half-ready garment for another week just burns my hands. 'Haste makes waste' as they say.
So I had to spend extra time unripping the back, removing the zipper and steam ironing the back to return it to a normal size. It's amazing how ironing could make miracles to sewing!
I didn't put the zipper back because I can easily get into the dress without it. But I added lining made from thin rayon knit and now I am more or less content with the result.
The dress is very comfortable and I wore it several times already.

I've been thinking about making a little black dress next but spontaneously bought another knitted fabric and have already started a wrap dress. It is a variation of Diane von Furstenberg wrap dress.
HeathersSphere from SEWspicious Minds recently published a nice collection of patterns for wrap dresses. I don't have access to all these patterns so I turned to my collection of Burda Moden magazines. I am going to use the pattern #115 from 5/2006.



This is a fabric I am going to use for this dress. My camera can't capture the real colour, in reality it is darker and has more khaki hue.


I decided not to rush with this dress but make everything slowly and very accurately.

***
Some new finished knitting projects. A new hat and scarf for my son since it was rather cold here. I used free patterns from Junghans-Wolle web site. I like their patterns, they are so clear and precise, it is always a pleasure to use them and they turn out well.




 See you later!

4 comments:

  1. Your dress turned out very well in the end and looks great on you. Your next project looks as if it's going to be very special too - a stylish pattern and and a beautiful fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you fixed your dress, it looks lovely on you. Your wrap dress will be lovely and the scraf and beanie (hat) that you have knitted for your son are very stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The save is fine. I think the Burda pattern for the wrap dress is perfect. I love your new knit fabric.
    As for the free knit patterns they are fantastic. I realy love the scarf and I am going to check out the German site you linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection of clothes you have created! I truly love all the pieces you have sewn-stuff I want to wear! I'm starting off on my adventure with sewing and loving it. I'm really glad I found your blog! PS: Awesome job on getting your son to model! Handsome guy-don't tell my husband-hahha!!

    ReplyDelete