Sunday, 14 August 2011

Men's linen shirt (Burda 06/2011-138) and some trifles

Summer linen shirt and a hat for my son.

Burda 06/2011-138
I enjoyed working with linen, such a wonderful fabric. I would love to sew something from linen for myself as well. The only problem that it wrinkles so easily, so it would be something very casual, for vacation wardrobe.

Two other small projects are the hat and the pot holder. The pattern for the hat is Simplicity 5581.

Simplicity 5581

Burda 08/1989

The pot holder was my first  try on patch-work. I chose this very small project just to see how to do this. This pattern was published in Burda magazine 08/1989 along with some other lovely bigger projects.

Besides trying quilting this project satisfied my inclination for recycling and nonwaste living. Maybe it is because I was raised by my grandmother who survived revolution and two wars and used to save everything, or just my inborn sense of  responsibility but I hate wasting things. So I made this potholder from scraps of  fabric that I used for my sewing projects.

Saturday, 6 August 2011

Salad Dress (Burda 7/2011-110)

During first summer months Moscow hosted the exhibition “Inspiration Dior .

Goes without saying that I visited it. Some dresses in vintage Dior collections had names. So I decided to copy this and to name my new project :).
The name Salad Dress comes from one of the dresses at the exhibition (please forgive me, Mr. Dior).

"Salad" dress (right)
So here is my Salad dress from July issue of Burda magazine. The camera didn't capture the true colour. In reality it is light yellowish green.

I cut size 19 petite (means 38 regular) and I feel comfortable in it but when I look at the picture I see that the top looks baggy. Again I am struggling with Burda measurements.
Good news is that is the first time when I am really happy with making the invisible zipper. Seems I finally managed to become friends with that special invisible zipper foot.

It was not a smooth sewing though. Initially I wanted to make very simple solid colour dress using this pattern.

Burda 6/2011-107
But then I decided that it will be too simple and chose another pattern. Now I regret of not going with my first intention. Still have a desire to make light solid colour dress in a very simple cut.
My second choice was this dress.

Burda 4/2010-108
I wanted to make it since it has been published in 2010 but couldn't find fabric that would drape well. I tried this fabric and it seemed that it would work. I cut out back and front pieces of the dress, basted and tried it on, and it looked like a maternity dress. Not an effect I wanted to get :/.

Since the fabric had been cut already I had a choice either to put it in a trash bin or to try to rescue it with some other pattern. So the choice of the pattern was somehow limited. I managed to squeeze this pattern in previously cut pieces of fabric and in what remained uncut.

It is a petit pattern so I lengthened the top a couple of centimeters. Now I doubt the necessity of doing this. Otherwise made no alterations, just added lining to the skirt since the fabric wrinkles easily.

One more picture from Dior exhibition that I would like to share. Shoes collection, I would wear any pair of these beautiful shoes anytime :). The green ones at the top left would suit my new dress ;).