Thursday 8 December 2011

Very Simple Summer Dress (Burda 6/2011-107)

The Christmas is around the corner and I am still posting about summer projects :). I admit I haven't been blogging actively lately.
After sewing several flowery projects for Summer I finally got a desire for some one-colour and very plain pattern. I made a choice in favour of this dress from June issue of Burda magazine.


The fabric is rayon but it is so soft and nice to touch that feels like silk. The colour is pale gray blue and has jacquard pattern.

Though it looks very simple it was rather expensive. When I've just started sewing I was hesitant to buy expensive fabrics because was not sure that I will not spoil them with my sewing. I wonder about other dressmakers, when you've started sewing, did you spend money on expensive fabrics or like me opted for budget cloth?
But some fabrics are so appealing that I just can't resist buying them. Together with this blue rayon I bought a piece of  ruby Chinese silk. Normally I don't wear that bright colours but that one was so beautiful, I couldn't keep myself from owning it. I will report about this project next time.
So here is the finished dress. The pattern is very simple, literally only a couple of stitches.



I am very happy with this dress. I made it in August and had a chance to wear it a couple of times before Autumn arrived. It is very simple and understated but it immediately became my favourite out of all summer sewing projects.
Here is a small Swarovsky brooch that I use to accessorise it.

 

4 comments:

  1. Maria,
    Great to hear of you. We are all so very busy.
    When seing your dress I can't help thinking that the colour choice makes all the difference. This dress is rather plain, but this shade of blue gray works like magic and is gorgeous on you.
    Can't wait to see what you've made with your red China silk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is simple and understated but in a very chic way. And it is a great color for you. I was thinking about your question regarding using inexpensive fabrics when just starting to sew. It sort of worked out naturally for me. It was 35 years ago when I was in my teens and I only wanted to sew denim jeans and cotton shirts. Denim and cotton shirting were relatively inexpensive, but I bought them in the large discount department store, rather than the high priced fabric store, with my earnings from babysitting. One of the ladies I babysat for was an expert seamstress. After the kids were in bed, I would slip into her sewing room and look at, but not touch, her current sewing project. She was a lawyer's wife and had the money and the social life for designer fabrics and Vogue patterns. That's how I learned the level of expertise a home sewer can achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty dress and your Swarovsky brooch is devine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make such beautiful garments Maria, I am very envious. I love the brooch, it looks perfect on the dress. My very best wihes for 2012 come to you from here in England.

    ReplyDelete